Two Serious Injuries In Anchorage Seaplane Crash (Video) - AVweb

Two people aboard a Regal Air Beaver floatplane were seriously injured when the aircraft crashed shortly after takeoff from Lake Hood, near Anchorage, Alaska’s main airport on Tuesday, July 26. Five others aboard the aircraft escaped injury and were able to swim clear of the wreckage. The aircraft came to rest nose down in about five feet of water. Lake Hood is a busy seaplane base that’s immediately adjacent to Ted Stevens International Airport in Anchorage.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/two-serious-injuries-in-anchorage-seaplane-crash-video

“the pilot reported that a gust of wind struck the aircraft during takeoff and he was trying to correct when the aircraft crashed into the water” Sorry buddy, it was all on video. You got slow, stalled, entered an incipient spin, and hit the ground. And you’re incredibly lucky to be alive, as are your pax.

Looks like that to me also.

They should buy the megabucks lottery ticket this week. Glad they survived.

^^^ This

Agree. He was clearly flying very slowly prior to spinning it in. And maneuvering pretty aggressively too. Hotshot pilot?

Stall, nose high as all hell, 7 on board- CG problem? Spun in -
Miracle that anyone survived.

Holy smoke. Some very lucky folks. Nobody injured in what looks like a non survivable crash!

Not lowering the nose after lift-off in a loaded beaver or any seaplane has consequences. TURNING prematurely also.

I agree with Scott.

I agree with you Frank.

It looks like is was windy, but that helps as long as you keep the nose into the wind.
Turning out of that wind with a loaded draggy plane would really kill your chance of missing obstacles.

Obviously, they should check the weight since an overloaded situation as well as weight and balance issues must have contributed. Based upon the video the pilot was in a low speed climbing turn, and asking for a stall situation. With a heavily loaded plane he probably should have executed a WW II loaded bomber take off. Very lucky folks to have survived.

I’ve flow that southeast takeoff many times out of lake hood in a 206 under varying wind conditions. Aborted several takeoffs for various reasons. When taking off southeast heavy with a strong south wind you have to get in ground effect and let the speed build. You also have to get lined up in a turning takoff with the east channel. You also have to maintain a crab into the wind, get to 3-400ft then turn back north.

Taking off downwind - humm
What was the reason? obstacles ?

Not taking off downwind. Taking off into the wind then turning east so it becomes a xwind. You have to do this to stay out of Anchorage International Airport Airspace though I have encroched on International several times due to gusty conditions to gain altitude.

Once airborne, turning circles won’t make any difference. You don’t know the way the wind is blowing, neither does your aircraft. A rapid change, of course, can get you.
But in this case, it was captain stupid.

I don’t know about any obstacles in his flight path, but it looked like he still could have salvaged that takeoff
after that turn if he would have just got down on the deck in ground/water effect to get some sorely needed speed up.

Agree with the comments. Low altitude low speed turn, basically, no climbing at all, and based on comments, heavy load. I’m glad they survived. Pilot needs remedial training.

I agree as well