NTSB Cites Lax Maintenance in UH-1B Fatal Crash

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) Final Report was issued today on the fatal West Virginia crash of a Vietnam War-era Bell UH-1B helicopter on June 22, 2022. According to the report, the accident was caused, in part, by inadequate inspection procedures by the operator, Marpat Aviation; and a lack of FAA oversight. All six occupants died when the UH-1B “Huey” hit power lines during an attempted forced landing following a loss of engine power.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.avweb.com/uncategorized/faulty-maintenance-lack-of-faa-oversight-contributed-to-huey-crash

It seems like this category of certification needs to be reevaluated. I think a lot of people, who pay to ride on aircraft certified in this category, assume these aircraft, and the pilots that fly them, meet a higher standard of safety than they are actually required to meet.

1 Like

I have a good friend who was flown into hot zones many times to engage in firefights: he’s not interested in flying in a Huey again.

1 Like

mike23moore, having just finished reading “Chickenhawk” by Robert Mason, I have a much better understanding of why your friend feels that way.

1 Like

the 412 is powered by the Pratt and Whitney Canada twin-pack power plant with two turboshaft engines.
… records the lowest in-flight shut-down rates of aircraft turboshaft engines. If one engine is shut down, a single engine can produce emergency power for 30 minutes.

1 Like

A 50 + year old helicopter is safe if;

1. Flown by qualified pilot
  2. Properly maintained
  3. Flown according to the flight manual.
    The cost of maintenance and training is what makes it unprofitable.

I too flew HUEYs in Viet Nam (Dustoff 11 9/68-9/69) and taught the transition course at Mother Rucker for 14 months after. I also had an un airworthy H model at East Coast Aero Tech A&P school outside Boston. As an instructor I would demonstrate turbine engine runs and helicopter control systems. It is one of the great aircraft of all time. Like anything else, poor maintenance will cause anything to fail.

A great book - and my buddy at the American Legion flew ‘slicks’ along the same routes, a year or two later.

[My cred with him was bumped up a notch or two after I told him I’d read it.]

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.