MacArthur's Connie 'Bataan' Being Readied For Oshkosh - AVweb

Never got to fly the Connie , but did get a few years on the DC 6.
I will never forget the wonderful low rumble of 4 big radials when the props were pulled back to low cruise.

Since the airplane I was on was operated without a FE, I was introduced to the challenges of interpreting the cathode ray tube engine analyzer. The good news is that in a subsequent job interview, when asked if I had glass cockpit time; I enthusiastically replied “absolutely”.

Had a couple of flights on the MATS Connies, the longest being Charlston to Tripoli. The most memorable aspect, beyond the overall trip durations being augmented by the requisite maintenance delays at each stop, was the reversed seating arrangement. Something about that just never seemed “right”.

Sat in the cockpit of a Connie once. It scared me how cramped is was and how close the front windscreen panels were to Yr eyes. Lots of view blocked by the narrow windows and supports. Claustrophobic, i’d say.
O heck, flew the B747 for 22 Yrs, forgot how many times I hit the side window mounting screws, trying to look at the outbd engine or wing tip. Being bald wasn’t helpful either :slight_smile:
Hitch hiking once on a B777, I thought this was a ball room.
OK, flying CF6 powered (in total close to 17.000 hrs), I NEVER had to shut down or “lost” one. Round engines too like the Connie :), the best 3-engined a/c as the pilots transatlanticking them called it.
Love the roar however.