Boeing Workers Reject Labor Deal, Extending Strike

On Wednesday, Boeing workers voted against a new labor agreement, prolonging their six-week strike as the company continues to grapple with financial losses.  

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/boeing-workers-reject-contract-strike-continues

Pensions is the big stumbling block by all appearances…

Demanding raises of 40 percent and the reinstatement of the pension plan; even as the company is bleeding money? Sounds like the union at Studebaker or American Motors.

The US Air Force’s KC-46A Pegasus (767-200C) as well as US Navy’s P-8A Poseidon (767-800) contract production will be affected too (and nine tankers for Japan on order). Boeing also has P-8A contracts with eight foreign nation’s air forces and navies. There will be delay fees levied against Boeing on top of everything else. Then there is the unknown impact of the cost of this strike on the already-delayed T-7 Red Hawk trainer and F-15EX. Fortunately the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet production is ramping down, but it is going to be miraculous if Boeing survives this. Other long-historic industry leaders have met their demise under far less headwinds.

The Boeing CEO had no problem paying himself tens of millions.

As it was not stated, I wonder if they were offered 35% and the pension they would agree?

I get the point they are trying to make, Boeing Execs have gotten paid millions while driving the company into the ground so instead of putting blame on the workforce, start paying them and treating them better.

This is one time I don’t think the CEO is in any real strong position to hold off on an agreement. Take the damn lumps this round, get the workers working and figure out how to dig out of the hole created from mis-management.