Seven Dead In Collings Foundation Flying Fortress Crash (Updated) - AVweb

#3 (or more) puked on takeoff. Pilots did good job dragging around with shallow turns but lost it last moments.
I had the run of a nearly empty AZ CAF “Sentimental Journey” on a two leg trip from Glens Falls, NY, to Columbus years ago. The highlight of my aviation career sitting in every position during the all day trip just above or below a scattered cloud deck. I had done some token refurb work on it as volunteer at Falcon years before when I was Chief Instructor of ASU Flight Program [before ASU nearly destroyed department going full ab initio in Bonanzas at Willy with Lufthansa… IMHO so Dean and Chair could get “orientated” during multiple German vacations. I counter-proposed combo traditional and ab initio and got terminated for it. Student fatalities followed.] I had set up a tent at the KGFL Airshow hawking my then-new “Sport Pilot Encyclopedia”…a tent which “Journey” regularly blew over during its reload turns. Chatted w/crew during intervals and got offered the trip. Landed midway uneventfully at relatively tight Beaver County, PA, where I think 909 had run off the end into a deep gully years before us.