EPA Proposes 100LL Endangerment Finding - AVweb

Politicians and bureaucrats are a thousand times more dangerous to your health than lead or arsenic.

Jeffrey, quick question risk factors:
Would you rather have lived the last 50 years on a small GA airport using 100LL or the last 10 years in Flint Michigan?

Fred,
That EPA link is a strange mix of bad science and a stated push for “Environmental Justice”. Basically it’s what you would expect from an unelected bureaucracy of political appointees.

Mogas–absolutely agree. At the airport I manage in Minnesota, we installed a self-serve Mogas (with assistance of Minnesota Dept. of Aeronautics) pump when the STCs first came out. We control the quality–we buy ONLY from a local refinery, because we receive a “birth certificate” with every load–octane (minimum 94) batch number (for traceability), Reid Vapor pressure (to assure no vapor lock), and handled by a transport company that dedicates transports to aviation auto ONLY.

It pays off, not only for aircraft owners, but for us–A few years ago, we had a BT-13 coming back from Oshkosh–the pilot filled with auto gas. A few days later, I received a letter–the pilot was an attorney, and claimed “we must have got some bad gas.” I replied “You picked the wrong people to tell THAT FAIRY TALE TO!”–and sent him a copy of the fuel specifics. Never heard from him again.

HOWEVER–despite all of the precautions and documentation, we still only sell 1/4 of the gallons of autogas than we do of 100 octane–and our auto gas is $5.35 a gallon compared to $6.65 for 100 octane–people just don’t make the change–we still hear “I’ve HEARD that auto gas is bad for your engine!”

Your point is well taken–we should be promoting auto gas–and the industry should do a better job of educating pilots and eliminating their fears about auto gas–and with the passage of time and gained experience, leaded aviation fuel will eventually die of its own. Without government interference, “the market will always prevail.”

AND “HOW” DID THEY KNOW MILLENIA AGO??
They didn’t. Just like now. Everything is profit driven. You can believe what you want to believe but people live in garbage dumps in Brazil their whole lives and still are happy with what they’ve got. Humans are a bunch of whiners… Go fly your airplanes!! 100 years ago, it wasn’t about what we could do for our future, it was survival. Everything is in God’s hands.

Wow! That would be perfect for my engine, wish I had access to it instead of the 100LL I’m forced to use.