Boeing Releases 2020 Pilot and Technician Outlook - AVweb

Very nice article Paul! My career was in many-motors both in the AF and civilian after retirement, thus I have not had the opportunities to visit the various icons of the civil world you describe. I have visited a few along the West Coast back in the early 70’s while driving T-29’s for the USAF Nav School at Mather. After all, with 18 cylinders on each wing flailing away trying to escape captivity, sooner or later the banging and clattering will cause one to land nearby rather than try to stretch it home. Not all of those paved airports were large but for the most part they were homey and the people were fantastic. A couple of places had pretty good hamburgers if you got there before mid afternoon when the owner headed home.
The part I miss about the various pilot hangouts, yes we had them in the military as well, from back in the day was listening and participating in the “hanger flying”. Hanger flying seems to be a knowledge resource for young pilots long lost to history. Sure, there was an equal amount of fiction and fact in those tales, but there were nuggets and tidbits to save in both. After all, no one can embellish a story faster than a pilot… I know… been one for over 50 years. The other side of that point is that there were hours upon hours of great entertainment to be had for the young (and young at heart) aviator.
One of the most enjoyable of such sessions occurred approaching the end of my 747 career. My company operated for British Airways for a while out of Stanstead in the UK. We stayed in a small hotel (like every UK hotel that wasn’t one of the global chains) not far from the airport. On one layover, the restaurant was “closed” for a private function so one had to eat at the adjoining bar. The crowd at the function, all male, were certainly no spring chickens. The “lads” at the function were certainly having a great time, were quite lively, and clearly were an aviation oriented group. While finishing the meal at the bar, the bartender asked if I was former military and I replied that I was retired USAF, he knew I was a 74 pilot from long experience there. He went on to explain that the group was all local “lads” that were former RAF from WWII. He proceeded to holler at one of them and told him that I was a 74 driver and former AF as well. Well, I was instantly dragged over to the crowd, a chair was found, and I proceeded to have one of the most entertaining evenings of my life. Just listening to them recount the old stories of their youth from the their time spent saving Britain from the Hun was superbly enjoyable. They probably had told those stories a thousand times but to watch the wrinkled faces turn to smooth, sunburned leather behind flying goggles was simply amazing.