Basic Med Three Year Report Card Has It Worked? - AVweb

Basic Med does NOT “add a layer of paperwork OR reduce a doctor’s productivity.” The checklist in AC68-1A, Appendix A, is a 22 item checklist. There is no ‘pass’ or ‘fail.’ The column says, “Examined.” The doctor checks each of the 22 items and if he/she/it feels comfortable signing it, they’re done. And the pilot THEN goes home, takes the medical course and the exam. After passing, the physician’s name/number is added and the pilot is done. It couldn’t be any simpler! Within days, the pilot’s FAA record reflects this info and that’s that.

What you’re talking about, John, is the stupid 3rd class physical process which DOES take extra steps. I know MANY doctors who are AME’s merely to add a revenue stream to their practice and don’t give a hoot about whether the pilot passes or not … either way, they get their bucks. Any pilot who goes to such an AME needs to have their sanity questioned. For me – personally – being able to have a frank and honest medical relationship with my physician is perhaps the very best advantage of using basic med. In fact, prior to Basic Med, I didn’t have a personal physician … didn’t need one and feared having one. I no longer hold back on any issues fearing having to later admit to same on an aeromedical 3rd class exam’s paperwork.