Air Force Looks To Update Maintenance Procedures

Yeah, a 100# device - that is gonna work real well. Not!

I’m certain that things have significantly changed since I worked instruments/avionics on B-52H and KC-135A aircraft back in the 70’s. But at first look this solution would appear to be massive overkill. And yes, power, electronic flight systems, hydraulics, airframe and coatings are much more complex on some of today’s aircraft.

I rarely got to work on one of our aircraft in a hangar and only occasionally that hangar was even heated (Grand Forks AFB). The vast majority of work that I and my fellow airmen did was outside in the elements. Usually trouble shooting and repair was done from memory. More complex jobs did require dragging out some books/binders/TOs. Then there were the days where one of the jets was preparing to go out on a mission and something is inop. Us techs would either be working the jet on the ramp with the engines running, or inside the cockpit while it was taxiing, or doing the repair at the end of the runway, or whatever. Job ONE was to get the jet repaired so that it could make it’s takeoff time. No place to be dragging around a 100# box