7 replies
December 2022

lynn.jones

Dr. Becklin’s desk, shown in much of the second half of the video, is a real throwback to the past. There is so much less paper now that the desk and paperwork seem strange. I can remember when my desk was similarly loaded, but everything was in logical stacks, or at least piles.

December 2022

Richard_Freilich

I had the great honor of being able to photograph SOFIA in 2006 at L-3 Communications in Waco, TX. The telescope was a marvel of technology which produced astounding results in its time. Sorry to see her 11-year mission end, but the baton has been passed to a far more capable instrument - the James Webb Space Telescope.

December 2022

gliders

Good to see SOFIA will be displayed in an appropriate facility.

December 2022

ag4n6

Four thirsty engines and the need to be woke and virtue signal score another progressive hit. Sounds like there might be a repurposed use for the telescope but probably will not happen. Has anyone considered re-engining 747s with fewer more powerful and efficient engines such as are used on B 777s and 787s?

3 replies
December 2022 ▶ ag4n6

jbmcnamee

Boeing and GE used a modified 747 as a flying testbed for the GE-90 engine used on the 777. The engine was mounted on the inboard pylon on the left wing. It definitely looked unusual with the three normal 747 engines that were dwarfed by the -90. According to what I was told, two of the -90 engines could have replaced the four smaller engines, but Boeing had already decided on the 777 platform to eventually replace the 747. In order to convert the 747 to a two-engine design would have required redesigning the original wing to position the engine pylon between the two engines.

December 2022 ▶ ag4n6

billthedog

I woke a bit late to miss the virtue comment. It was, then, in the footnotes?

December 2022 ▶ ag4n6

john_Parrott

Seriously?