9 replies
December 2022

Phil1

Any word about the fate of the Sikorsky Defiant? What were the key factors in the choice of the Valor instead?

December 2022

granburyaircraftserv

I worked at Bell during the V-280 and Bell was completed with all of its flight testing years before the Sikorsky even took its first flight. The Defiant is no where near as capable or as fast as the 280.

December 2022

SeaKite.batteries

I’ve always wanted ask: What happens when or if there is an engine failure to just one engine? This could be a bird strike, drone contact, mechanical, attack or even human error. What is “plan B?” Any weight on the main wing tips appears risky.

2 replies
December 2022 ▶ SeaKite.batteries

fdryer1

My understanding of the MV-22 Osprey tilt rotor is a driveshaft between engines coupling them together with a central gearbox. When one engine fails, the other engine will drive both rotors.

2 replies
December 2022 ▶ fdryer1

Skypark

An annoying requirement from the design-engineering standpoint, but absolutely essential. Just imagine what it would be like if one of those huge thrust/drag producers suddenly went off-line!

1 reply
December 2022 ▶ Skypark

SeaKite.batteries

If both props or both engines fail - there is no counter rotation or enough wing for a safe landing.

December 2022 ▶ SeaKite.batteries

granburyaircraftserv

Power is distributed from one engine to both rotors.

December 2022 ▶ fdryer1

bcarlson

Sadly, on a vehicle like this, I guess there is no way to build in any redundancy in case one rotor/prop itself were to fail.

December 2022

ag4n6

The Osprey has been a notorious maintenance hog and killer aircraft with a checkered and dismal operational record. Lets hope they do a better job this time.