Continue Discussion 11 replies
February 2023

joe

I guess it’ll be time for the Blue Angels to get new planes soon.

2 replies
February 2023 ▶ joe

brianb08

Hopefully still with people in the cockpit! F35s? Seems like that could be interesting…

1 reply
February 2023 ▶ joe

Ryan_Leeward

The Blue Angels got new planes in 2020. Upgraded from legacy Hornets to Super Hornets. So probably gonna be until the Super Hornet is completely retired before they change again.

February 2023

Richard_G

Long run… I met many F18 pilots that were younger than the aircraft they were flying.

February 2023 ▶ brianb08

Richard_G

I was wondering about that as I watched the drone shows… do we need the pilots. I would in most cases say, yes.
AI is still not capable of making good decisions. It has no moral judgement. A single pilot with five drones on the wing with the capability of multitasking is the answer to the future fighter aviation.
Even the pilot requirements are clearly changing. We need technical thinking pilots that can manage several systems at once while making split second decisions. The F35 is a crappy plane to fight solo… the F16 can take it down one on one.
But, add in the tech and dozens of planes with sensors… it can take down any legacy aircraft before they know it is there.
The F35 is a fighter, but not in the sense of an F18 or the Predecessor planes, when true abilities to maneuver an aircraft into a kill position were needed.
The F35 is a super cool aircraft, and the Air Force demo pilot Wolf is a very talented aerobatic demonstration pilot. But, I don’t see it as an aerobatic team demo aircraft in the future.
Legacy demos will likely continue, like the WWII planes.

February 2023

Kkiwi54

I don’t understand the comment below as Boeing didn’t start manufacturing the F18 until 1997 - “Boeing reports that it has delivered more than 2,000 Hornets, Super Hornets and Growlers since the F/A-18 was introduced in 1983.”

3 replies
February 2023 ▶ Kkiwi54

Skypark

I would assume the theory is that when you merge two companies into one, the surviving name then IS the old company.

February 2023 ▶ Kkiwi54

jbrewster7453

Would be easy to fact-check if Avweb linked to sources on releases like this but for some reason they stubbornly refuse to adopt that piece of basic internet courtesy.

February 2023

Arthur_Foyt

The Top Gun curse.
Anytime a plane is featured in Top Gun, it gets retired in a year or two.

1 reply
February 2023 ▶ Kkiwi54

Mike_H1

Yeah that kind of stuff doesn’t ring right to me either. I work for a great big company that has merged and swallowed up and so forth (including the original company I hired on with 20+ years ago). Somehow the history of the acquisitions gets massaged into “we” (the acquirer) did this or that. Well, not really. Might be easier to talk about like that, but merging and acquiring doesn’t include past history. IMO…

February 2023 ▶ Arthur_Foyt

NordicDave

Mav is definitely hard on the hardware. Controller coffee shirt stains too.